I am a student at MATC in Madison, WI and am a part of a peer tutoring practicum course. This course is brand new to the college and is geared at preparing students to become peer tutors in our school's writing center.
For this course, I am writing a research paper. My topic is on "The Growth of the Peer Tutor," and I am trying to find a number of peer tutors to fill out a short questionaire on their experiences in the writing center. I would love to hear from some vetran peer tutors about how they have been effected by their time in the writing center. (Or even some of you newbies, about what you've been observing.) The following is a couple of quick questions that I would love your feedback on! If anyone has the time to respond, it would be greatly appreciated. Just post your answers in the Comments section!
Peer Tutoring Questionaire:
1) What is your name, and may I use it when quoting sources in my research paper?
2) How has your work in the writing center influenced your own academic growth?
3) What are the challenges of tutoring a student in a field of study you are unfamiliar with?
4) Professionalism: How do you balance being seen as a “tutor” or “authority figure” in the writing center with being a “peer” or “fellow college student” elsewhere on campus?
5) Has peer tutoring changed the way you approach your own writing?